Pages

Saturday 25 February 2012

Smashing Red

I began this project yesterday.  I seem to be loving red this week or just in general, not sure yet.  But I wanted to make a necklace in red, but I didn't want to create the typical cliche colour necklace of white/red, which spells Valentines Day all over it, or black/red - boring, green/red - too Chrismassy, yellow/red - child's playground.

So I began by taking out all the red glass beads I had from breaking down a lot of my old jewellery yesterday, and just laid them out to see what I could come out with.

These are the beads I chose for this necklace, a nice variety.

As you can see, red is certainly in your face.  It's too overwhelming and somehow I need to soften its brazenness.

But first of all let me see if I can come up with a layout design.

Originally, I was going to attempt creating a layered necklace, but instead this is what I got.








 Tassel-me-softly necklace.

I thought it would be a more comfortable and casual design for ladies to wear for the early summer days to come.

But still you can see it is 'way' too red.
Here are all my beads still in the queue for their place in the new 'tassel-me-softly' necklace design.

 Here is a close up of some of the new coloured beads I've placed in the necklace, and some silver charms.

Purple and red are relatively close in the scheme of colours, and it helps to break the redness a bit.

Things seem to be lightening up now.










Last night I managed to get this far.  I began working on my jewellery since 8:30am and by 6pm (no break) I got a tad bit tired.  I tend to get a bit involved when I start creating something.
 By 11:30am today I managed to finish my piece, which began at 8:30 this morning.

How I have to figure out how much this cost me to make, but I want have a competition with all you lovely readers.
Carry on reading to find out more - a prize will be won.






The centre-piece






 A close-up image

Time for the competition.  All is required is for you to guess how much you think this necklace is worth. The person with the closest answer will win a free pair of hand-made red Swarovski crystal earrings worth £11.  The competition will begin today and will close Monday morning by 9am.  I will announce the winner on Facebook.    Just send a comment on this blog or on Valbies Jewellery Facebook page with the answer, along with the code 'tassel-me-softly competition'.  *A picture of the prize is further down the page- feel free to have a look, and have a  go.  It's all in the name of fun and you get a free pair of earrings if you win.

Here are my measurements of the necklace and layout design I had created.












*The competition prize - have a go :) x






Happy Beading
ValbiesJ xxx








No comments:

Post a Comment